What is it?
Work Experience at Sixth Form offers students the opportunity to develop their understanding of the world of work. We try to offer students a range of experiences to empower them to make choices in the future. We teach our students that work can be varied; from voluntary, through to paid work. We offer a range of sessions over a 3 year rolling programme within Sixth Form, all supporting students with their independence and future plans.
Why we do it?
Work Experience in our Sixth Form provision covers a range of learning opportunities and experiences. These include participation in;
– Horticulture on the school allotment.
– The John Muir Award at Fellfoot Park.
– The Duke Of Edinburgh Award in the community.
– Work experience at trusted and familiar work place settings in the community or in school work opportunities (e.g Office work, site mantainance, working with younger children in schools, working with older people in care homes)
– Work related learning through participation in Business Enterprise Projects (making for profit).
What impact it has?
- Students develop their confidence when applying their knowledge of the world of work.
- They gain life skills, including communication with the public and unfamiliar people.
- Students also gain an insight into possible future employment opportunities.
- Students gain understanding of earning potential money – This is mainly taught through the enterprise projects.
- Students develop their understanding of the routine and professionalism involved in having work and preparing one self for work.
- Students develop an understanding of working as a team, taking and giving instructions through effective communication.
- Students develop an understanding of the challenges and achievements possible when working together forming a commeradory it has
We thank all of our Community businesses and establishments who have supported our students to develop their experiences of the world of work over the past few years.
- Velo Bikes
- Oasis Florist
- Poppies Cafe
- Gillams Cafe
- Hi Tide Cafe
- Fellfoot Park
- St Mary’s Hospice
- Swarthdale Nursing Home
- Hart Street
- St Mary’s Primary school
- Elhmhurst Residential home
- The Wall