We recognise that our students need a balanced programme of physical activities regardless of any academic, physical or cultural differences.
We provide this within a safe and caring environment.
We ensure that we offer activities and experiences that are stimulating, challenging but also enjoyable and realistic targets.
We promote the social and moral values of respect and tolerance for each other plus a sense of fair play.
Physical activity is essential for a healthy lifestyle and we hope to instill a lifetime love of exercise and well-being through a diverse range of leisure activities that can be sustained after education.
Fine motor skills are taught through a range of subjects and activities including art, design technology, writing and play activities.
Gross motor skills are also taught for those with a physical difficulty who are on The Move Programme.
We also recognise that Yoga, Tai Chi and other activities that promote physical development offer additional benefits on well-being and mental health.
We want our students to be able to appreciate the advantages of Sport and Leisure activities within the community to enable them to develop an understanding of how they can keep themselves fit and healthy as they enter adulthood whilst allowing them to develop new hobbies/interests including:
- Mile a day
- Additional sensory processing sessions including swing therapy and sensory circuits
- Move circuits
- Physio programmes
- Postural management
Wherever possible we want to raise our students’ self-esteem, confidence and range of skill skills through an active and healthy lifestyle.
- develop safe ways of working
- explore a range of techniques and equipment
- develop skills to suit different activities
- display some measure of control
- develop use a range of tactics and strategies to overcome opponents in direct competition through team and individual games
- develop skills to perform dances within a range of dance styles and forms
- develop an understanding of how to continue to take part regularly in competitive sports and activities outside school through community links or sports clubs.