This general duty requires public bodies (including schools) to have due regard to equalities and meet the three aims of the Act:
- To eliminate discrimination, harassment or victimisation and any others conduct prohibited under the Act.
- Advance equality of opportunity between persons who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
- Foster good relations between persons who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
At Sandside Lodge School our policies and practices enable us to meet our general public sector equality duties. Some examples are:
- The school has data on its composition broken down by year group, ethnicity, gender and types of disability or special educational need.
- There are statements of the school¡¦s commitment to equalities duties in various school documents.
- Equalities matters are included in the school¡¦s CPD / induction.
- A senior member of staff has special responsibility for equalities matters.
- Equalities are considered prior to any changes in policy / procedure.
So far as possible our equality objectives are fully integrated into the School Improvement and Development Plan. From September 2012 our equalities objectives are:
Narrowing the gaps -
- To narrow the gap in participation in the public life of the school between pupils with different special educational needs and of different ages.
- To narrow the gap in progress that pupils of all disabilities and special educational needs make between English and the other core subjects of mathematics and science.
Fostering good relationships -
- To promote and enhance community cohesions and awareness of other cultures, religions and ways of life.
- To promote spiritual, moral, social and cultural development throughout the curriculum, with particular reference to issues of equality and diversity.
- To work towards recognition as a Rights Respecting School.
Equality of opportunity-
- To encourage all pupils to fully participate in activities.
- To use good equal opportunities practice in the recruitment and retention of staff.
This statement and objectives will be reviewed annually.
Our full policy can be downloaded from here: Policies Page
Mrs Donna Stretton
Sandside Lodge School
Tel: 01229 588825